Colonel Michael J. Oliver is the Vice Wing Commander, 113th Wing, District of Columbia Air National Guard, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. He is the primary advisor to the Wing Commander on the command, control and oversight of two flying organizations, an air sovereignty detachment and several supporting units. The 1,300-member wing consists of the 113th Maintenance Group, 113th Mission Support Group, 113th Medical Group, and the 113th Operations Group. Flying units include the 121st Fighter Squadron which provides F-16C+ combat capability to combatant commanders, the Aerospace Control Alert responsible for the air defense of the National Capital Region, and the 201st Airlift Squadron which provides C-40 aircraft for Very Important Person Special Airlift Missions (VIPSAM).
Colonel Oliver received his commission in March 2000 from the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science. He has commanded at the flight, squadron and group levels, and also served as the Retrograde Division Chief, U.S. Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Southwest Asia. Prior to his current position, the colonel was assigned as the 113th Maintenance Group Commander at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.
1994 Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, Towson University, Md.
2007 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2012 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2012 Master of Science, Military Operational Arts and Science, Air University, Ala.
2015 The Eisenhower School, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. January 2000 – March 2000, Officer Training, Air National Guard Academy of Military Science, McGee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2. March 2000 – August 2008, Transportation Officer in Charge, and subsequently Squadron Operations Officer, 113th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
3. August 2008 – August 2011, Commander, 113th Maintenance Operations Flight, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
4. August 2011 – June 2014, Commander, 113th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
(December 2013 – June 2014, Retrograde Division Chief, U.S. Central Command Deployment and Distribution Operations Center, Southwest Asia Joint Duty Assignment as a lieutenant colonel)
5. June 2014 – July 2015, Student, Eisenhower School, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
6. July 2015 – September 2016, Commander, 113th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
7. September 2016 – January 2018, Chief, Combat Aircraft Branch, NGB/A4, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
8. January 2018 – April 2019, Commander, 166th Maintenance Group, New Castle Airport, Del.
9. April 2019 – July 2020, Commander, 113th Maintenance Group, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
10. July 2020 – Present – Vice Commander, 113th Wing, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Armed Force Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air and Space Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 3, 2000
First Lieutenant March 3, 2002
Captain March 3, 2004
Major Dec. 12, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel May 22, 2013
Colonel Jan. 23, 2018
(Current as of December 2022)